Archives
Back To Archives

New look for Burgie cross country course
Moray, Scotland

RedBayGroup.com
Sarra Mayberry riding Tell Tarragon at Burgie CCI** 2005
Scotland's most northerly international British Eventing fixture – Burgie International Horse Trials – is boasting several improvements and new features to it's 2006 CCI* and CCI** cross country course as well as £12,000 in prize monies.

Working to the June 2006 deadline, modifications got underway in September, immediately after last year's event, with much of the middle section of the course now sporting an all-new look thanks to course designer Hugh Lochore and his team.

In an effort to give horses and riders the best going possible to reward their journey North, alot of the course's wetter top fields are not being used this year with extra loops in place on the lower ground nearer start and finish. This in turn gives more complete viewing for spectators with the re-design taking account of the new International Eventing short format.

All in all, 80% of the track is now on lower, better drained ground which can be worked with an Equivator if required. The other 20% is on established grass. Course builders feel this is much more manageable whatever the weather brings.

Hugh Lochore, course designer, explained: "We have really changed the look and feel of the course since last year. Most change is seen in the middle of the course plus there are a few changes near the start as well. I feel the re-design allows for more attacking riding for the first third of the course with the middle having more technical elements such as a new bank complex. The end of the course has less technical efforts but is not completely free of them.

"Last year's course hadn't changed at all from the last few years but the ground conditions were against us and one fence rode extremely badly. Horses cooked themselves in the middle phase with most problems later on in last third of the course."

"There is the general feeling that this year's course is "attack and go go, go". We have created a bold, traditional style track. I can't see it causing too many problems."

For further information on Burgie International Horse Trials June 15 to 18 visit www.burgie.org


Back To Archives

Copyright © 1990-2018 Red Bay Group, LLC