The Irish Eventing Squad for the World Equestrian Games 2014 has been announced by Horse Sport Ireland’s Eventing High Performance Manager Nick Turner.
The selected squad in alphabetical order is:
- Clare Abbott riding Dr Cormac Mackay’s Euro Prince (ISH)
- Aoife Clark riding PJ Hegarty’s Fenyas Elegance (ISH) (or Henrietta Duchess of Bedford & Jacqueline Norris’s Vaguely North as a direct reserve horse)
- Sarah Ennis riding Tom McGuinness, Nicky Potterton and the late Orla Ennis’ Horseware Stellor Rebound (ISH)
- Joseph Murphy riding Noel Good, Jill Andrews, A. O’Callaghan and Michelle Nelson’s Electric Cruise (ISH)
- Austin O’Connor riding Kate Jarvey’s Ringwood Mississippi (ISH) and
- Sam Watson riding Tom MacGuinness, John and Julia Watson’s Horseware Bushman (ISH).
The reserve list is as follows in alphabetical order:
Joseph Murphy riding Jill Murphy, Alison Schmutz and Andrew Tinkler’s Sportsfield Othello (ISH); Jim Newsam riding his own Magennis (ISH), Michael Ryan riding Carol & Tom Henry and Sheila Foley’s Ballylynch Adventure (ISH) and Camilla Spiers riding Bridget Speirs and her own Portersize Just A Jiff (ISH)
Nick Turner, Ireland’s Eventing High Performance Team Manager said; “I am delighted that we have such a strong squad to select from. The six riders have a wealth of experience riding horses that have good 4 star experience or very impressive wins recently at 3 star level.
“We look forward to the World Equestrian Games with the main objective of securing Olympic qualification, yet a medal is always in our sights. I would especially like to thank all of the owners who have made their horses available for selection to represent Team Ireland Equestrian at the Championships.”